Kriya Yoga is not merely a series of exercises and poses as with many other forms of yoga, it is, in many ways, an entire world view and lifestyle, with a strong following in both the lands of its origin and across the globe
Kriya yoga is an ancient system of yoga that was brought back into the forefront into the latter days of the 1800’s by Mahavatar Babaji with his disciple Lahiri Mahasaya. The practice found it’s way into a prominent form of yoga in the west from around the year 1920 with the release of the book “Autobiography of a Yogi” written by Paramahansa Yogananda.
It is not merely a series of poses but a full yoga system consisting of both mental and physical methods. Here we are going to give you three different Kriya yoga poses that you can try today.
1. Mukana Asanam – The Triangle Pose
- To start this pose, you stand with your legs in line with your shoulders and stretch your arms out to the sides.
- From here you bend and touch your right index finger to your right big toe, then the left toe, then the right again. You then repeat the inverse with your left finger respectively.
- Back at the start position, you then move your right leg forward, bend backwards slightly, and then touch your head to your right knee. You then once again repeat the inverse.
- Finally, having once again returned to the start position, lean back slightly and then forwards completely, while leaning forwards, clasp your hands together behind your back.
- Return to the start position and you have finished.
2. Vilasanam – The Bow Pose
- Lay face down on the floor with your heels together and your toes apart, arms by your sides and your head touching the floor.
- Lift your feet to your buttocks and grab your ankles, from here, arch your back while pushing your legs as if to straiten them, but still grasping your ankles.
- Rock backwards and forwards and then roll from side to side.
- Return to the start position and you are finished.
3. Paambu Asanam – The Cobra Pose
- Lay face down with your heels together and toes apart once again.
- From here place your hands in the standard push up position and begin to raise as you would with a push up, except leave your legs touching the ground (Knees off the floor just a tiny bit).
- Look up to the sky once you are fully raised and then slowly descend to the original position.
47 Most Famous Motivational Quotes of All-Time
49 Greatest Love Quotes
37 Inspirational Quotes that Will Change Your Life