“Migraine has a life of its own, but takes your life along for a ride“. Isn’t this the way you feel when you have a migraine? Migraine causes are unknown; it could be due to environmental factors, genetics, or imbalances in brain chemicals. Some medicines provide temporary relief but cannot get to the root of the problem, due to which migraines recur. In today’s busy world, people don’t have time to think about permanent solutions as they want instant relief. For those who have frequent headaches, it’s important to find natural and effective treatment options. Supplements, essential oils and dietary modifications are all natural, safe and effective ways to reduce headache symptoms. Natural therapies have no side effects.
According to the Mayo Clinic, 17% of women experience migraines as opposed to 6% of men. Women are prone to Migraines more during their reproductive period (14 to 50 years) due to hormonal changes.
It’s a known fact that, as you age, magnesium levels deplete. Magnesium is a critical element. It helps to regulate blood flow, circulation and blood pressure. It also improves absorption of calcium which promotes bone health, as well as nerve and muscle strength. Many researchers conclude that migraine headaches are likely caused by magnesium deficiency. It has been shown that 1 gm of magnesium can provide relief even for acute migraine.
Along with magnesium, Vitamin B2, the herb Feverfew and Coenzyme Q10 also help reduce migraine.
Some essential oils can be especially helpful for relieving headaches and migraines because of their anti-inflammatory, anti-stress, calming and stimulating properties.
- Peppermint oil is cooling and can help alleviate tension headaches, sinus headaches and migraine pain. It increases blood flow and inhibits muscle contractions that can cause headaches.
- Eucalyptus oil is good for headaches that are caused by sinus pressure and respiratory conditions.
- Lavender oil is wonderful oil for its ability to ease stress and anxiety, improves sleep because of its sedative properties. Stress and anxiety can lead to tension headaches and migraines. Lavender oil is a great tool for relieving headaches that are brought on by the stress of the day and when used at night, it can help to improve sleep.
- Frankincense oil is known as king of essential oils. Aroma therapists refer Frankincense for its anti-inflammatory effects and when topically applied helps to reduce pain. It relieves tension headaches and migraines that are caused by stress and anxiety.
When using essential oils on sensitive skin, it’s best to combine them with carrier oils, like coconut oil, first. These four essential oils for headaches and migraines are easy to use and have proven to be effective. Plus, they serve as a safe and natural remedy for not only head pains, but many other ailments as well.
Migraine attacks are often due to various reasons. There are many non-dietary trigger factors for migraine. Not all foods will trigger a migraine attack in every person with migraine. Your personal food triggers can be difficult to figure out. Here are some suggestions:
Keep a food diary along with your headache diary to help identify what you ate before migraine attacks. Some foods can trigger a headache right away, while with other foods the headache can be delayed up to 24 hours. If you think a specific food is triggering migraine attacks, you can try to avoid that food for a month. Monitor your symptoms to see if they improve. In addition to the basics of a healthy diet, there are a few things to think about if you have migraines:
- Don’t skip meals, especially if this triggers migraines.
- Consider eating 5 small meals per day. Eat a carbohydrate with a protein or a good fat to stay full longer.
- Don’t eat or drink anything that you know triggers your migraine. Some common food “triggers” are alcohol, aged cheeses, caffeine, and chocolate.
- Drink water through the day instead of sugary drinks like soda.
“Your body holds deep wisdom. Trust in it. Learn from it. Nourish it. Watch your life transform and be healthy.” ~Bella Bleue
47 Most Famous Motivational Quotes of All-Time
49 Greatest Love Quotes
37 Inspirational Quotes that Will Change Your Life