Of all the organs in the body, the liver is perhaps the least thought of organ as compared to the heart, brain, respiratory tract and other vital organs. It is a classified as the biggest gland in the body. The liver is vital to our health as it performs some of the most important functions in the body. Among the many functions that it is responsible for, the most important one is the detoxification of the blood as is comes out of the digestive track. A little known fact about our liver is that it is the only organ that can regenerate. As long as 25% of the organ tissue is intact, it can regenerate itself without any loss of function.
Some major function of the liver includes
1) Storage of significant amounts of vitamins and iron.
2) Converting stored sugar to usable sugar whenever sugar levels are low.
3) Destroying old red blood cells.
4) Producing bile to break down and absorb fats and protein.
Detox has become a popular a buzz word. There are various way to cleanse the liver including using certain procedures that need to be done at a doctor’s office. Liver cleanse solutions in the market claim to boost health, metabolism and aid weight loss. However ,it is not proven that these detox methods improve our health and enhance the functioning of the liver. So you could be wasting your money. Instead you can change your lifestyle and invest in healthy diet that will go a long way to enhance your health and support healthy liver function.
The liver is our body’s natural detoxifier. It is a sturdy organ that can cleanse almost anything. However when the liver health is compromised, the toxin are not purged out of the body properly. The symptoms of a unhealthy liver are – itching, yellow jaundiced skin, swelling, blood vessel issues, gallstones, fatigue, nausea, diarrhea etc.
Toxins enter our system through various ways. Lifestyle is major contributor of these toxins in the form of alcohol, tobacco, beauty products, processed foods, sugary foods especially when consumed in large quantities. There are other factors that are not in our control such as pollution, medicines, viruses etc. Overall much of the toxin intake can be avoided by making lifestyle changes.
1) Reduce alcohol consumption: Drinking alcohol in excessive amounts causes liver damage. Drinking in moderation or shifting to a non alcohol substitute will lengthen the life of liver and yours as well. Avoid taking medication of any kind within 24 of hours consuming alcohol.
2) Eat cruciferous vegetables: Broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, cabbage, kale and other cruciferous vegatables have glucosinolate which trigger the cleansing enzymes in the liver to flush out the toxins.
3) Consume turmeric: Turmeric has been used for centuries in India for its medicinal value. It contains a potent ingredient called curcumin that stimulates the cleansing enzymes. It has anti-inflammatory properties and is rich in antioxidants that helps with cell repair and boosts bile production.
4) Citrus and Beets: Both of these contain high quantities of vitamin C and have natural cleansing properties. They help dilute and break down toxic waste to be excreted out of the system faster.
5) Walnut, Avocado and Olive oil support normal liver cleansing actions. Olive oil is considered a healthy fat and is shown to decrease the levels of fat in the liver.
5) Drink enough water to keep your system hydrated. For toxin to be eliminated from the body on a frequent basis, water is a necessary ingredient.
6) Toxins are eliminated from the system in two ways, by improving liver function, and sweating. Brisk walking, jogging, cardio-strength training induce sweat which helps eject the toxin.
Last but not least, introduce Yoga in our daily routine. It is a great preventive and helps maintain healthy mind, body and energy. Yoga practices strengthens the organs, detoxifies the body, reduces the buildup of stress and keeps the entire system relaxed.
Finally, there is no magic bullet for a liver cleanse. Changing your life-style, eating nutritious anti-oxidant rich foods, exercising regular, and adding yoga are the best things you can do to keep your liver and yourself alive and well.
47 Most Famous Motivational Quotes of All-Time
49 Greatest Love Quotes
37 Inspirational Quotes that Will Change Your Life