Thyroid malfunction has become a common condition today. The thyroid not only regulates energy, temperature, and digestion, but also affects other functions of the body. The thyroid releases T3 and T4 hormones, which regulate the body temperature, energy levels, and metabolism. The amount of T3 and T4 released in the system is controlled by a hormone released by the pituitary gland in the brain. A healthy thyroid improves the skin, hair, muscles, bones, joints, nerves, heart, mood, and sexual function.
Even though thyroid malfunction affects more women than men, the symptoms – fatigue, cold intolerance, muscle weakness, muscle cramps, constipation, weight gain, swelling – are experienced by both genders. The triggers could be a mineral deficiency like iodine, hormone imbalance that happens during pregnancy and menopause, high stress, autoimmune disorder, exposure to toxins and chemicals etc.
People suffering from thyroid problems usually take a synthetic hormone replacement prescription pill. Before going down this path of a lifetime of pill taking, it is worthwhile to explore other alternative holistic methods to manage the condition. Many people who have made dietary and lifestyle changes have decreased their medication or gone off of it completely. Some simple ways to manage this condition are
1) Taking thyroid-balancing natural herbs and supplements.
2) Eating food high in antioxidants (vitamins A, C, E), B vitamins, and omega-3 fatty acids.
3) Spending time outdoors, taking in sunlight, breathing fresh air, walking bare feet on the ground.
4) Managing your stress levels with the practice yoga and meditation.
5) Engaging in activity that brings joy, happiness and fulfillment.
6) Surrounding living spaces with plants.
Managing the condition with a holistic approach as in the above can bring positive results. Practicing specific yoga poses can improve the functioning of the thyroid. Try these yoga poses and see if it helps.
47 Most Famous Motivational Quotes of All-Time
49 Greatest Love Quotes
37 Inspirational Quotes that Will Change Your Life