Yoga is a great way for seniors to release tension, improve flexibility and relieve aches and pains. Today, we will share a list of five seated yoga positions that are beneficial to those that are unable to stand or have the mobility needed to perform normal yoga positions.
1. Chair Forward Bend – Uttanasana
This is the perfect position to stretch the back and extend posture. You will also feel a nice stretch in the hips, calves and hamstrings.
• Slowly bend forward over the legs as you exhale.
• Allow the hands to rest on the floor (if you are able), letting the head hang heavily.
• Inhale, slowly come up raising arms back over the head.
2. Chair Raised Hands Pose – Urdhva Hastasana
This asana helps to strengthen and stretch abdominal muscles. Breathing will become more natural and lung capacity will increase.
• Raise your arms towards the ceiling as you inhale, keeping arms parallel and palms turned in facing each other.
• Sitting firmly on your tailbone, allow the shoulder blades to glide down the back towards the waist and raise up from there.
3. Neck Rolls
The neck and shoulders are the perfect place to hold stress and tension. Neck rolls will help relieve stiffness and release tension, while strengthening the neck and shoulder area.
• Allow then chin to fall and rest on the chest.
• Relax the shoulders and close your eyes.
• Beginning to the right, slowly circle your head from the right shoulder, to the back, to the left shoulder, and back to the chest.
• Complete 5 full rolls in each direction.
4. Eagle Arms – Garudasana Arms
This pose is perfect for relaxing tight shoulders. It also relives tension in the upper back between the shoulder blades.
• Slowly stretch your arms out at your sides as you inhale.
• Exhale and bring the arms to the front, crossing the right under the left, give yourself a hug by grabbing your shoulders.
• As you inhale, raise your elbows a few inches.
• Roll your shoulders down, relax, and exhale.
5. Seated Twist – Parivrtta Sukhasana
This pose will greatly help with stretching the lower back. It is commonly referred to as a detox pose, as it helps with circulation and digestion.
• As you raise your arms out and then up, extend the spine and inhale deeply.
• Gently twist to the right, resting your right hand on the back of the chair as the left one rests at your side, exhale.
• Hold for 5 breaths, then relax and repeat twisting to the left side.
47 Most Famous Motivational Quotes of All-Time
49 Greatest Love Quotes
37 Inspirational Quotes that Will Change Your Life